Gareth Bale to stay at Real Madrid as move to Chinese side Jiangsu Suning collapses
Gareth Bale's move to Chinese Super League (CSL) side Jiangsu Suning collapsed on Sunday after Real Madrid canceled the proposed deal due to wrangling over the fee, a source told AFP on Sunday.
Bale, 30, who has been in the Spanish capital since 2013, was expected to join the Chinese Super League outfit on a three-year deal worth one million pounds (1.1 million U.S. dollars) a week.
The source dismissed reports by Spanish daily Marca which said the Welsh player's family had blocked a potential move to Asia.
Marca said those close to Bale had asked his representatives to look for clubs in Europe "before definitively saying yes to Jiangsu Suning's offer."
The Chinese transfer window closes on Wednesday.
The 77-time capped Welsh international had been told by Real coach Zinedine Zidane he does not form part of his future plans at the Bernabeu.
The former Tottenham Hotspur winger came off the bench to play half an hour in Real's record 7-3 defeat to rivals Atletico Madrid in a friendly match in New Jersey on their pre-season tour of the United States on Friday.
Real boss Zidane said last weekend he thought it would be "best for everyone" if Bale's departure could be arranged quickly – comments Bale's agent branded "disrespectful" of a player who helped the side to a Spanish league title and four Champions Leagues since arriving from Tottenham six years ago.
However, injuries have limited Bale to fewer than 80 starts in La Liga in the last four seasons while he has been the subject of criticism in the Spanish media for his struggles with the language and even the time he had spent on the golf courses.
Meanwhile, Jiangsu Suning has announced signing of Anderlecht Croatian forward Ivan Santini on Monday morning, which means the team has used up all quota for non-Chinese players. Suning said "this is the end of all the mess in this summer window." It's certain that the Bale transfer saga will not happen.