On the Road: Milestones in the cause of China's reunification
To celebrate the 70th anniversary of the founding of the People's Republic of China (PRC) and present a panoramic view of the country's great journey, the 24-episode documentary "On the Road" focuses on the great achievements and valuable experiences of people of all ethnic groups in the socialist revolution, construction and reform over the past 70 years. It also recounts touching stories and important events in the country since 1949.
The 11th episode of the series looks at major milestones in the great cause of China's reunification.
- January 1979 The National People's Congress (NPC) Standing Committee issues the Message to Compatriots in Taiwan, officially proposing a policy seeking the peaceful reunification of China.
- January 1982 The "One Country, Two Systems" principle is proposed for the first time.
- September 1982 Then Chinese leader Deng Xiaoping meets then British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher and lays out the Chinese government's position on the Hong Kong issue.
- December 1984 China and the UK sign the Sino-British Joint Declaration, confirming that practice of sovereignty over Hong Kong will be restored to China on July 1, 1997.
- April 1987 China and Portugal sign the Sino-Portugal Joint Declaration, confirming that practice of sovereignty over Macao will be restored to China on December 20, 1999.
- November 1987 The first group of Taiwan compatriots visits the Chinese mainland.
- April 1990 The Basic Law of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China is adopted.
- November 1992 The 1992 Consensus is agreed.
- March 1993 The Basic Law of the Macao Special Administrative Region of the People's Republic of China is adopted.
- July 1997 China resumes practice of sovereignty over Hong Kong.
- December 1999 China resumes practice of sovereignty over Macao.
- March 2005 The Anti-Secession Law is adopted.
- December 2008 Direct cross-Straits flights are inaugurated.
- October 23, 2018 The Hong Kong-Zhuhai-Macao Bridge opens.