What are the symptoms of the novel coronavirus pneumonia?
Fever, dry cough and fatigue are the main manifestations.
What are the common symptoms of COVID-19?
The main manifestation is acute respiratory infection.
- Fever above 38 degrees Celsius is mainly seen. However, critical patients may not have a fever.
- It may be combined with dry cough, fatigue and dyspnea.
- Occasionally, there are symptoms such as nasal congestion, running nose, sore throat and diarrhea.
- Some patients only show low-grade fever, slight asthenia, with no signs of pneumonia.
Incubation period: After being infected with 2019-nCoV, the disease may not show up immediately, and this interval is called the "incubation period" in medicine. The incubation period of COVID-19 is 1-14 days, mostly three-seven days.
What complications may be caused by COVID-19?
Similar to the aggravation of many other diseases, some patients with COVID-19 will get worse after a week, and may progress into the following life-threatening conditions:
- Acute respiratory distress syndrome;
- Septic shock;
- Metabolic acidosis;
- Bleeding and coagulation dysfunction;
- Renal failure or other organ failure.
Stories in this series are contributed from Tencent Medpedia medical team, which are written and reviewed by medical experts from China's top hospitals. These are intended for informational purposes only, and are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Never ignore professional medical advice in seeking treatment because of something you read on our website. If you think you may have a medical emergency, immediately call your doctor or visit a hospital.