Salmon pulled off shelves in France


Salmon products have been pulled off shelves in France as some salmon foods were tested contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes – a virus that usually causing vomiting, fever and headache.

Supermarket chain Carrefour said it had pulled off shelves all its salmon products. For those who had purchased the products, the supermarket suggested they destroy the products or simply return the purchase at the supermarket, according to French newspaper Le Figaro.

Food contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes may not look or smell spoiled but can still make you sick. Symptoms can include vomiting, nausea, fever, muscle aches and severe headache. Pregnant women and the elderly are particularly at risk.

Official data show 300 to 400 cases with Listeria monocytogenes poisoning are reported in France every year on average, with a mortality rate between 30 and 40 percent.