Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi said on Wednesday that the South China Sea is not ground for international politics, urging Southeast Asian countries to resume talks for a Code of Conduct in the South China Sea.
Wang made the remarks in an interview with Xinhua News Agency.
Last month, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said China's claims to offshore resources in most of the South China Sea are completely illegal and it is bullying southeast Asian countries.
In July, the U.S. sent two aircraft carriers to the water and conducted a drill.
Noting on these provocative actions, Wang said the U.S. is showing its military presence in the region and it is driving a wedge between China and the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), and disrupting the consultation process of the Code of Conduct.
"The South China Sea is the shared home for the countries in the region. It should not be a wrestling ground for international politics."
Wang said dialogue is the only way to settle the dispute in the South China Sea and called on more efforts to push for the complete of the code of conduct.
He said countries in the region have reached an unequivocal consensus that China and ASEAN countries should work together to safeguard peace and stability in the South China Sea.