Chinese State Councilor and Foreign Minister Wang Yi on Sunday dismissed Western rumors concerning northwest China's Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, stressing that China welcomes foreigners to visit the region as it is the best way to debunk rumors.
Wang made the remarks at a press conference held on the sidelines of the fourth session of the 13th National People's Congress (NPC), where he answered questions from domestic and international journalists on China's foreign policy and external relations.
Wang said people's life in Xinjiang was improving and progress had been made in all aspects of the society.
The ethnic Uygur population in the region has more than doubled in the past 40 years, according to official data. In addition, the region received over 200 million tourists in 2019.
The foreign minister said the allegation of genocide in Xinjiang "couldn't be more preposterous" and was nothing but a rumor "fabricated with ulterior motives." He said the word "genocide" reminded people of the native Americans of the 16th century, African slaves of the 19th century, the Jewish people of the 20th century and the aboriginal Australians who are struggling even today.
Wang suggested Western politicians to listen to the voice of 25 million Xinjiang residents hailing from various ethnic groups instead of indulging in political maneuvering and fabricating issues on Xinjiang to undermine security and stability in the region.
The Chinese foreign minsiter reiterated China's stance on Xinjiang, stressing that foreigners are always welcomed to visit the region as it is the best way to debunk rumors.
(Cover: A group of Uygur people making their way in Xinjiang Uygur Autonomous Region, northwest China. /CMG)