Noel Le Graet, the embattled president of the French Football Federation (FFF), has resigned amid a scandal over harassment, including sexual harassment, and a damning audit, the federation said on Tuesday.
Le Graet, head of the FFF since 2011, had taken a step back amid a legal investigation into alleged sexual and moral harassment and a report commissioned by the sports ministry.
Earlier this month, the audit concluded that the 81-year-old no longer had "the necessary legitimacy" to administer and represent the sport in France and "highlighted the inappropriate behaviour of Mr Le Graet towards women".
Le Graet, who presided over his last executive committee on Tuesday, has denied any wrongdoing.
"Noel Le Graët announced ... to the Executive Committee of the French Football Federation his decision to step down from his position," the FFF said in a statement.
"Philippe Diallo, vice-president, will act as interim president of the FFF until June 10, 2023, the date of the next federal assembly."
Le Graet, whose mandate was due to end in 2024, had come under fire for extending the contract of men's coach Didier Deschamps until 2026 and for derogatory comments aimed at France great Zinedine Zidane.
French football has been in turmoil recently despite the national side reaching their fourth World Cup final in the last seven editions of the tournament, losing to Argentina in Qatar last December.
The French women's team coach, Corinne Diacre, has also been under fire.
Team captain Wendie Renard said last week she would not play at this year's Women's World Cup. According to a report in French multimedia outlet RMC Sport, Renard said she will not play for the national side as long as Diacre is in charge.
Fellow internationals Marie-Antoinette Katoto and Kadidiatou Diani also said they were taking a step back from the national team.