No survivors were found in a weeklong search for 39 crew aboard a Chinese ocean fishing vessel that capsized in the central Indian Ocean, and seven bodies have been retrieved, China's Ministry of Transport said on Tuesday.
A large-scale search operation has covered the possible area of drifting of the victims. At 3 a.m. Tuesday, one week after the accident, the large-scale search operation began to downsize into a small-scale operation for 48 hours.
At noon Tuesday, seven vessels were operating at the site, and the capsized vessel continued to drift northeastward, said the ministry.
On Sunday, three bodies were retrieved by Chinese fishing vessels, and another body was recovered from a cabin by divers from a Sri Lankan warship. Three other people were confirmed dead previously.
The wrecked ship, Lupeng Yuanyu 028, had 39 crew on board, including 17 Chinese sailors, 17 Indonesians, and five from the Philippines. The accident occurred at about 3 a.m. on May 16.
Source(s): Xinhua News Agency