Our Privacy Statement & Cookie Policy

By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies, revised Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. You can change your cookie settings through your browser.

I agree

Al-Ain reach Asian Champions League final despite loss at Al-Hilal


Al-Ain reach Asian Champions League final despite loss at Al-Hilal

United Arab Emirates' Al-Ain advanced to the Asian Champions League final with an aggregated 5-4 victory, despite losing 2-1 to Saudi Arabia's Al-Hilal on Tuesday, as they await the winners of the other semi-final on Wednesday between South Korea's Ulsan Hyundai and Japan's Yokohama F Marinos, with the former leading 1-0.

Goals from Ruben Neves and Salem Al-Dawsari gave Al-Hilal victory in the second leg, but it was not enough to recover from a previous 2-4 loss.

The visitors were rocked inside the opening two minutes as the Saudi Pro League side, watched from the stands by their injured playmaker Neymar, made a blistering start.

The four-time winners reduced the deficit in the fourth minute as a rash challenge in the area saw Kouame Kouadio bring down Brazilian winger Michael and, after a video assistant referee (VAR) review, Neves smashed his spot-kick into the top corner.

But Al-Ain remained resolute, with Kaku heading over the bar before the 2003 champions restored their two-goal aggregate advantage in the 12th minute.

Erik Jorgens cut in from the left and fed the ball to Kaku, who found Yahia Nader on the right and he set up the unmarked Jorgens to stroke the ball past Yassine Bounou from 14 yards having continued his run across the box.

Ahmed Barman then headed against his own crossbar as Al-Hilal pushed forward, with Ali Al-Bulayhi nodding across the face of the Al-Ain goal soon after.

Six minutes into the second half the home side struck again, Al-Dawsari slotting his low shot into the bottom corner after Barman's header from Yasser Al-Shahrani's long throw had landed at the Al-Hilal winger's feet.

Goalkeeper Khalid Eisa kept Michael's deflected effort out at the near post with five minutes remaining while Sergej Milinkovic-Savic headed over moments later as Al-Hilal sought in vain to score the goal that would take the game into extra-time.

The result means Al-Ain will return to the final for the first time since 2016, when they lost over two legs to South Korea's Jeonbuk Motors.

The first leg of the final will be played in either Japan or South Korea on May 11 with Al-Ain hosting the return two weeks later.

(With input from Reuters)

(Cover: File photo of the AFC Champions League match ball. /CFP)

Search Trends