Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy gives a speech during "Army of Drones – 2025" event in Kyiv, Ukraine, January 26, 2026. /VCG
The date and venue for the next round of peace talks on Ukraine, initially planned for Sunday in Abu Dhabi, may change, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy said Friday, noting that developments "in the situation with the U.S. and Iran" could affect the timing of the talks.
"It is very important for us that everyone we reached agreements with attends this meeting, because everyone is expecting feedback. However, the date or the venue may change," he was quoted as telling reporters by the Interfax-Ukraine news agency.
Zelenskyy rejected Russia's idea to hold peace talks at the highest level in Moscow and instead invited Russian President Vladimir Putin to Kiev.
"I'm ready for any effective format to end the war. But in Moscow and Belarus that is simply impossible," Zelenskyy said.
Representatives from Ukraine, the United States and Russia held their first trilateral meeting since the start of the Russia-Ukraine conflict on January 23-24 in Abu Dhabi, the capital of the United Arab Emirates.
On Thursday, local media reported that Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said Russia is only considering Moscow as a venue for a possible meeting between Zelenskyy and Putin.
Also on Thursday, U.S. President Donald Trump said he had asked Russian President Vladimir Putin to refrain from attacking the Ukrainian capital and other cities for a week due to the severe cold.
Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Svyrydenko on Friday said that over the past 24 hours alone, Russia had carried out seven drone attacks on railway facilities.
Earlier that day, Kremlin spokesperson Dmitry Peskov said Russia had agreed to suspend strikes on Ukraine's energy facilities until February 1 following Trump's request, according to RBC-Ukraine news outlet.
In this context, nuclear safety risks are now under intense international scrutiny. The UN nuclear watchdog's board of governors on January 30 discussed nuclear safety in Ukraine, with several countries expressing “growing concern” following Russian attacks on the power grid.
Attacks on Ukraine's energy grid since the conflict began in 2022 have disrupted energy supplies to nuclear plants, prompting warnings of a nuclear disaster.
Fighting in Ukraine "continues to pose the world's biggest threat to nuclear safety," Rafael Grossi, director-general of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), said when opening the board meeting.
(With input from agencies)
CHOOSE YOUR LANGUAGE
互联网新闻信息许可证10120180008
Disinformation report hotline: 010-85061466