World
2026.05.18 11:22 GMT+8

US refuses to offer 'tangible' concessions following Iran's latest peace proposal, Iranian media reports

Updated 2026.05.18 11:22 GMT+8
CGTN

Fishing boats sit idle along the Strait of Hormuz, Qeshm Island, Iran, May 17, 2026. /VCG

Iran's semi-official Mehr news agency reported on Sunday the United States has put forward "maximalist" conditions in response to Tehran's latest peace proposal, refusing to offer any "tangible" concessions.

Mehr added Iran will only begin talks with the United States if Washington takes trust-building steps, including ending the war on all fronts, especially Lebanon, lifting sanctions, releasing Iranian frozen assets, paying reparations for war damages and recognizing Iran's sovereignty over the Strait of Hormuz.

It reported that in response to Iran's proposal, the United States demanded "maximalist" terms – rejecting any reparations or asset releases, and insisting Iran transfer its entire 400 kg enriched uranium stockpile to the United States.

According to the report, Washington has also demanded long-term restrictions on Iran's nuclear sector, and has tied any halt to fighting to the start of negotiations.

Iran sent its response to the latest US proposed text for ending the war to the Pakistani mediator on May 10.

In a post on social media platform X on Friday, Iranian newspaper Tehran Times said the United States has rejected Iran's 14-point peace proposal, once again reiterating its "coercive stance, particularly regarding the nuclear issue."

Iran, the United States and Israel reached a ceasefire on April 8 after 40 days of fighting that started with US and Israeli attacks on Tehran and other Iranian cities on February 28.

Following the truce, Iranian and US delegations held one round of peace talks in Pakistan's capital Islamabad on April 11 and 12, which failed to yield an agreement.

Over the past weeks, the two sides have reportedly exchanged several proposed plans outlining conditions for ending the conflict through Pakistan.

Drone strikes in the UAE, Saudi Arabia

Amid the diplomatic deadlock, drone incidents damaging infrastructure in the United Arab Emirates and Saudi Arabia have heightened regional tensions, even as a fragile ceasefire between the US and Iran largely holds.

A drone strike caused a fire at a nuclear power plant in the ​United Arab Emirates, officials there said on Sunday, while Saudi Arabia reported intercepting three drones, as US President Donald Trump warned that Iran must act "fast" after efforts to ‌end the US-Israeli war with Iran appeared to have stalled.

Emirati officials said they were investigating the source of the strike and that the UAE had the full right to respond to such "terrorist attacks." A diplomatic advisor to the UAE president said it represented a dangerous escalation, whether carried out by "the principal perpetrator" or one of its proxies.

The UAE Defense Ministry said two other drones had been "successfully" dealt with, and that the drones had been launched from the "western ​border." It did not elaborate.

Saudi Arabia said the three drones it intercepted entered from Iraqi airspace and warned that it would take the necessary operational measures to respond to ​any attempt to violate its sovereignty and security.

While hostilities during the Iran conflict have largely been scaled down since April, drones have been launched from Iraq towards Gulf countries, including Saudi Arabia and Kuwait. Iran has repeatedly targeted US assets in Gulf countries since the war broke out.

The drone that got through the UAE's defenses hit an electrical generator outside the inner perimeter of the Barakah ​Nuclear Power Plant, the Abu Dhabi Media Office said. Radiological safety levels were unaffected and there were no injuries, it said. The UAE's Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation later confirmed that the plant remained safe, ​with no radioactive material released from the strike.

The International Atomic Energy Agency said emergency diesel generators were providing power to the plant's "unit 3," and called for "maximum military restraint" near any nuclear power plant, adding that it was following the situation closely.

(With input from Xinhua, Reuters)

Copyright © 

RELATED STORIES