By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies, revised Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. You can change your cookie settings through your browser.
US President Donald Trump expresses dissatisfaction with the current state of negotiations with Iran to reporters on the South Lawn of the White House, Washington, DC, US, May 1, 2026. /VCG
US President Donald Trump expresses dissatisfaction with the current state of negotiations with Iran to reporters on the South Lawn of the White House, Washington, DC, US, May 1, 2026. /VCG
US President Donald Trump announced on Monday that he had ordered the Pentagon to suspend planned military strikes on Iran scheduled for Tuesday, despite growing US frustration over Tehran's latest peace proposal, as Gulf allies push to keep diplomatic negotiations alive.
"We will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow," Trump wrote on Truth Social, adding that the Pentagon remains "prepared to go forward with a full, large-scale assault on Iran on a moment's notice" if an acceptable deal is not reached.
Trump described "serious negotiations" as ongoing, with Gulf leaders expressing optimism that a deal could be achieved. "This deal will be very acceptable to the United States, all countries in the Middle East, and beyond," he said, emphasizing that it would ensure "NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN."
He said that he delayed the planned strikes at the request of leaders from Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Trump's comments came after the US received a renewed negotiation draft from Iran via Pakistan.
Citing a senior US official, US media outlet Axios reported that the White House believes the latest offer from Iran is insufficient for a peace deal. The White House views the proposal as offering only "symbolic adjustments" and no substantive concessions on Iran's nuclear program. Negotiations are described as "extremely challenging," and the US official warned that military action could resume if Iran refuses to compromise.
On sanctions, the American official stressed that the US will not offer exemptions without reciprocal measures from Iran, despite Tehran's previous claims that some oil sanctions relief had been agreed during talks.
Trump on Sunday warned that "the clock is ticking" for Iran, reiterating that the country could be left with nothing if its leadership fails to act quickly.
From Tehran, sources indicated that major gaps remain on several core issues. Iran insists on ending hostilities and ensuring the return of frozen overseas assets. Tehran also maintains a firm stance on compensation claims, despite US proposals to establish a development and reconstruction fund, with differences over amounts and mechanisms unresolved.
On the nuclear front, an Iranian official said the US has shown flexibility regarding Iran maintaining limited peaceful nuclear activities under the supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency supervision.
Saudi-based outlet Al Arabiya reported that Tehran's latest revised plan suggested transferring enriched uranium to Russia rather than the United States, agreeing to freeze its nuclear program long-term without fully dismantling nuclear facilities. Iranian authorities have yet to confirm the report.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian emphasized on social media that negotiations do not mean "surrender," stressing that Tehran will defend its national dignity and rights in all discussions.
Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei's social media account also warned that Iran may open new fronts in areas where "adversaries" are "inexperienced and vulnerable" if a war status persists.
Amid the stalemate, Iran has strengthened its control over the strategic Strait of Hormuz.
It officially announced on Monday the establishment of a new Persian Gulf Strait Authority to oversee the waterway, including regulatory oversight of undersea fiber-optic cables, citing the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea to justify licensing, monitoring, and fees.
It stated on its official X account that it will provide "real-time updates" on the Strait of Hormuz's operations and latest developments. The Iranian Revolutionary Guard Navy later shared the new authority's announcements.
US President Donald Trump expresses dissatisfaction with the current state of negotiations with Iran to reporters on the South Lawn of the White House, Washington, DC, US, May 1, 2026. /VCG
US President Donald Trump announced on Monday that he had ordered the Pentagon to suspend planned military strikes on Iran scheduled for Tuesday, despite growing US frustration over Tehran's latest peace proposal, as Gulf allies push to keep diplomatic negotiations alive.
"We will NOT be doing the scheduled attack of Iran tomorrow," Trump wrote on Truth Social, adding that the Pentagon remains "prepared to go forward with a full, large-scale assault on Iran on a moment's notice" if an acceptable deal is not reached.
Trump described "serious negotiations" as ongoing, with Gulf leaders expressing optimism that a deal could be achieved. "This deal will be very acceptable to the United States, all countries in the Middle East, and beyond," he said, emphasizing that it would ensure "NO NUCLEAR WEAPONS FOR IRAN."
He said that he delayed the planned strikes at the request of leaders from Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.
Trump's comments came after the US received a renewed negotiation draft from Iran via Pakistan.
Citing a senior US official, US media outlet Axios reported that the White House believes the latest offer from Iran is insufficient for a peace deal. The White House views the proposal as offering only "symbolic adjustments" and no substantive concessions on Iran's nuclear program. Negotiations are described as "extremely challenging," and the US official warned that military action could resume if Iran refuses to compromise.
On sanctions, the American official stressed that the US will not offer exemptions without reciprocal measures from Iran, despite Tehran's previous claims that some oil sanctions relief had been agreed during talks.
Trump on Sunday warned that "the clock is ticking" for Iran, reiterating that the country could be left with nothing if its leadership fails to act quickly.
From Tehran, sources indicated that major gaps remain on several core issues. Iran insists on ending hostilities and ensuring the return of frozen overseas assets. Tehran also maintains a firm stance on compensation claims, despite US proposals to establish a development and reconstruction fund, with differences over amounts and mechanisms unresolved.
On the nuclear front, an Iranian official said the US has shown flexibility regarding Iran maintaining limited peaceful nuclear activities under the supervision of the International Atomic Energy Agency supervision.
Saudi-based outlet Al Arabiya reported that Tehran's latest revised plan suggested transferring enriched uranium to Russia rather than the United States, agreeing to freeze its nuclear program long-term without fully dismantling nuclear facilities. Iranian authorities have yet to confirm the report.
Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian emphasized on social media that negotiations do not mean "surrender," stressing that Tehran will defend its national dignity and rights in all discussions.
Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei's social media account also warned that Iran may open new fronts in areas where "adversaries" are "inexperienced and vulnerable" if a war status persists.
Amid the stalemate, Iran has strengthened its control over the strategic Strait of Hormuz.
It officially announced on Monday the establishment of a new Persian Gulf Strait Authority to oversee the waterway, including regulatory oversight of undersea fiber-optic cables, citing the 1982 United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea to justify licensing, monitoring, and fees.
It stated on its official X account that it will provide "real-time updates" on the Strait of Hormuz's operations and latest developments. The Iranian Revolutionary Guard Navy later shared the new authority's announcements.