US President Donald Trump has ruled out using military force to take control of Greenland, US Ambassador to Denmark Ken Howery said during the opening of a new US consulate building in Nuuk, the capital of Greenland. Previously, Trump repeatedly threatened to take over Greenland and claimed that he would not rule out the use of force.
According to a New York Times investigation based on interviews with officials from Washington, DC, on May 18, the US is trying to modify a longstanding military arrangement to ensure American troops can stay in Greenland indefinitely, even if Greenland becomes independent.
A CGTN stringer in Denmark took to the streets to ask local residents for their views on this matter. Bettina, a local resident, said the plan makes her worry about security. "Not on a here-and-now kind of moment, but it makes me a little bit uncertain of the future," she said. She also expressed concern that greater US influence could mean major powers "coming and overruling," which would affect Greenland's employment, infrastructure and many other aspects.
CHOOSE YOUR LANGUAGE
互联网新闻信息许可证10120180008
Disinformation report hotline: 010-85061466