By continuing to browse our site you agree to our use of cookies, revised Privacy Policy and Terms of Use. You can change your cookie settings through your browser.
Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi receives Jared Kushner in New Alamein, Egypt, August 16, 2026. /VCG
Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi receives Jared Kushner in New Alamein, Egypt, August 16, 2026. /VCG
US President Donald Trump's envoys met with Egyptian, Qatari and Turkish mediators in Cairo on Sunday to advance Trump's Gaza peace plan, even as Israel pressed on with air strikes in the enclave.
Hamas officials were present at some of the meetings that mediators held with Trump's envoy and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and Trump's Board of Peace envoy for Gaza, Nickolay Mladenov, Reuters reported.
A Palestinian source told Al Jazeera on Sunday that Hamas's leadership briefed Kushner on Israel's ceasefire violations in Gaza. The source also stated that Kushner said the US rejects any plans to displace Gaza's residents.
Kushner and Mladenov were scheduled to meet on Monday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who on August 9 said Trump's latest roadmap for Gaza peace was "unacceptable."
Trump's peace plan calls for the immediate cessation of military operations in Gaza. It foresees Hamas disarming as Israeli troops withdraw from the enclave and as Gaza is rebuilt under a new civilian Palestinian administration.
Mediators urged to press Israel
The Palestinian Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) on Sunday called on mediators and guarantors to press Israel to approve the roadmap for the second phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement.
The call was made in a statement issued following a meeting in Cairo between a Hamas delegation, led by Khalil al-Hayya, head of the movement's political bureau, and representatives of the mediators and guarantors of the ceasefire agreement.
The delegation urged the mediators and the US-led "Board of Peace" to press Israel to implement all its commitments under the first phase of the agreement, halt killings and ground incursions, and approve the roadmap for the second phase of the agreement, the statement read.
Hamas also said it had accepted the roadmap, citing its aim to secure a permanent ceasefire, full Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, sustained humanitarian aid, and the start of work by the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza.
Palestinians inspect the area following an Israeli drone strike on a motorcycle along Salah al-Din Street in Deir al-Balah in central Gaza, August 15, 2026. /VCG
Palestinians inspect the area following an Israeli drone strike on a motorcycle along Salah al-Din Street in Deir al-Balah in central Gaza, August 15, 2026. /VCG
Eight states condemn Israeli rejection of plan
The foreign ministers of eight countries on Sunday condemned Israel's declared rejection of a roadmap for completing the Gaza peace plan.
"Such rejection confirms that Israel now bears responsibility for obstructing the efforts to bring peace in Gaza," the foreign ministers of Egypt, Qatar, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Indonesia, Pakistan, Türkiye and Saudi Arabia said in a joint statement.
They said the roadmap is a "vital milestone" for the decommissioning of weapons concurrently with the withdrawal of Israeli forces, the deployment of the International Stabilization Force, the transfer of the administrative authority to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza and reconstruction of the enclave.
The ministers also urged Israel to comply with the peace plan.
Israeli strikes continue
Israel has resumed air strikes in the past few days after scaling back its attacks in the enclave earlier this month.
The Israeli military said on Sunday that its aircraft struck two Islamic Jihad and Hamas militants in Khan Younis and Nuseirat. At least five Palestinians were wounded in the strike which hit a tent encampment, medics in the enclave said.
A separate air strike, which the Israeli military said targeted another militant, hit an apartment in the Nuseirat camp in central Gaza, wounding several people, medics said.
Egyptian President Abdel-Fattah al-Sisi receives Jared Kushner in New Alamein, Egypt, August 16, 2026. /VCG
US President Donald Trump's envoys met with Egyptian, Qatari and Turkish mediators in Cairo on Sunday to advance Trump's Gaza peace plan, even as Israel pressed on with air strikes in the enclave.
Hamas officials were present at some of the meetings that mediators held with Trump's envoy and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, and Trump's Board of Peace envoy for Gaza, Nickolay Mladenov, Reuters reported.
A Palestinian source told Al Jazeera on Sunday that Hamas's leadership briefed Kushner on Israel's ceasefire violations in Gaza. The source also stated that Kushner said the US rejects any plans to displace Gaza's residents.
Kushner and Mladenov were scheduled to meet on Monday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who on August 9 said Trump's latest roadmap for Gaza peace was "unacceptable."
Trump's peace plan calls for the immediate cessation of military operations in Gaza. It foresees Hamas disarming as Israeli troops withdraw from the enclave and as Gaza is rebuilt under a new civilian Palestinian administration.
Mediators urged to press Israel
The Palestinian Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) on Sunday called on mediators and guarantors to press Israel to approve the roadmap for the second phase of the Gaza ceasefire agreement.
The call was made in a statement issued following a meeting in Cairo between a Hamas delegation, led by Khalil al-Hayya, head of the movement's political bureau, and representatives of the mediators and guarantors of the ceasefire agreement.
The delegation urged the mediators and the US-led "Board of Peace" to press Israel to implement all its commitments under the first phase of the agreement, halt killings and ground incursions, and approve the roadmap for the second phase of the agreement, the statement read.
Hamas also said it had accepted the roadmap, citing its aim to secure a permanent ceasefire, full Israeli withdrawal from Gaza, sustained humanitarian aid, and the start of work by the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza.
Palestinians inspect the area following an Israeli drone strike on a motorcycle along Salah al-Din Street in Deir al-Balah in central Gaza, August 15, 2026. /VCG
Eight states condemn Israeli rejection of plan
The foreign ministers of eight countries on Sunday condemned Israel's declared rejection of a roadmap for completing the Gaza peace plan.
"Such rejection confirms that Israel now bears responsibility for obstructing the efforts to bring peace in Gaza," the foreign ministers of Egypt, Qatar, Jordan, the United Arab Emirates, Indonesia, Pakistan, Türkiye and Saudi Arabia said in a joint statement.
They said the roadmap is a "vital milestone" for the decommissioning of weapons concurrently with the withdrawal of Israeli forces, the deployment of the International Stabilization Force, the transfer of the administrative authority to the National Committee for the Administration of Gaza and reconstruction of the enclave.
The ministers also urged Israel to comply with the peace plan.
Israeli strikes continue
Israel has resumed air strikes in the past few days after scaling back its attacks in the enclave earlier this month.
The Israeli military said on Sunday that its aircraft struck two Islamic Jihad and Hamas militants in Khan Younis and Nuseirat. At least five Palestinians were wounded in the strike which hit a tent encampment, medics in the enclave said.
A separate air strike, which the Israeli military said targeted another militant, hit an apartment in the Nuseirat camp in central Gaza, wounding several people, medics said.
(With input from agencies)