World
2026.08.20 10:24 GMT+8

UN condemns Israeli minister for advocating violence in Gaza

Updated 2026.08.20 10:24 GMT+8
CGTN

Palestinians inspect the damage at a police station that was hit by an Israeli air strike in Gaza City, Wednesday, August 19, 2026. /VCG

The United Nations unequivocally condemns Israeli far-right National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir's remarks about intentionally killing people in Gaza, a UN spokesperson said on Wednesday.

Asked whether UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres condemns Ben-Gvir's remarks that 30 to 40 people should be killed every night in Gaza in targeted assassinations, the secretary-general's spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said: "These remarks are appalling. They are outrageous. They are dehumanizing. And they are dangerous. And we condemn them unequivocally."

Ben-Gvir made the shocking remarks in a podcast published over the weekend.

"I think targeted assassinations should be carried out in Gaza, taking down 30 to 40 every night. Not just those who pose an immediate threat – there are people there who are not worthy of life. They shouldn't live. They're not even people," said Ben-Gvir in a conversation with a former Israeli hostage held in Gaza, Rom Braslavski, on the latter's podcast.

The latest Israeli air strike killed nine Palestinians at a police station in Gaza on Wednesday, medics said, two days after US ‌envoy Jared Kushner ended a trip to the region that failed to push forward Donald Trump's plan to end the war in the enclave.

Medics and police sources said several officers were among those killed at what the Hamas-led interior ministry said was the headquarters of the municipal police. Fifteen others were wounded, they said.

The ministry later said in a statement that those killed included eight top-level officers and also a 13-year-old girl who was in the vicinity at the time of the attack.

The Israeli military said on Wednesday ⁠evening that it had struck Hamas militants who it said "operated from the civilian police station" to advance attacks against its troops.

Earlier on Wednesday, in Nuseirat refugee camp in central Gaza, a separate Israeli air strike killed one Palestinian, medics said, taking Wednesday's death toll to at least 10.

On the same day, a Hamas official ⁠said the group had told ceasefire mediators, Egypt, Qatar and Turkey that if there was no halt to Israel's targeted attacks "it would influence their stance on the agreement."

The official said the latest killings had dealt a blow to diplomatic efforts, despite assurances he and Trump's Board of Peace gave Hamas leaders in Egypt on Sunday that they would pressure Israel to stop "assassinations and targeted attacks."

Hamas political leader Khalil Al-Hayya met in Doha on Wednesday with Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman al-Thani to discuss developments in Gaza, the Qatari foreign ministry ⁠said in a statement.

Al-Thani urged the international community to "pressure Israel to fulfil its obligations" under the agreement, it said.

More than 1,200 Palestinians and four Israeli soldiers have been killed in Gaza since a ceasefire was reached last October, according to Gazan health officials and the Israeli military.

More than 73,000 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli attacks since the start of the Gaza war in 2023, with thousands more killed in its military operations in southern Lebanon. The dead include aid workers, doctors, journalists and others.

The ⁠Gaza ceasefire declared last October halted major fighting in Gaza but Israeli attacks have continued. Israel has said its ongoing strikes aim to thwart imminent attacks by Hamas and other Gaza militants.

(With input from agencies)

Copyright © 

RELATED STORIES