World
2026.08.22 11:29 GMT+8

Israel's E1 settlement plan sparks global backlash over Palestinian statehood concerns

Updated 2026.08.22 11:29 GMT+8
CGTN

This photograph shows a view of the newly established Israeli settlement outpost in Beit Sahur, south of Bethlehem, in the occupied West Bank, August 14, 2026. /VCG

Israel's plan to advance settlement construction in the E1 area of the occupied West Bank has drawn widespread international criticism, with Palestinian leaders warning that the project could undermine prospects for a future Palestinian state.

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on Friday urged the Israeli government to immediately halt and cancel a tender for the construction of settlements in the E1 area, saying the project poses a direct threat to Palestinian statehood efforts.

In a statement, Abbas said the planned settlement expansion would split the West Bank into northern and southern parts and sever the geographic link between East Jerusalem and surrounding Palestinian communities.

He said the move would seriously damage prospects for establishing an independent Palestinian state based on the 1967 borders, with East Jerusalem as its capital. He said that East Jerusalem, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip together form an integral part of the Palestinian territory occupied since 1967.

Abbas accused Israel of violating international law and relevant UN resolutions, particularly UN Security Council Resolution 2334, which states that Israeli settlements in the occupied Palestinian territory have no legal validity.

He welcomed a recent joint statement issued by the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Canada and Norway opposing Israel's E1 settlement plan, and called on the international community to take concrete steps to prevent its implementation.

Abbas also urged an end to settler violence and called for greater international efforts to protect Palestinian civilians and support the establishment of a Palestinian state under the framework of a two-state solution.

Israel issued a tender on August 18 for the construction of 1,234 housing units in the E1 area. The announcement followed a decision by Israel's Higher Planning Council under the Civil Administration to advance a broader plan for 3,401 housing units in the area.

Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich said in August 2025 that the project was intended to "bury" the idea of Palestinian statehood, drawing condemnation from Palestinian officials and several countries.

The governments of the UK, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Norway and Canada issued a joint statement on Thursday condemning the plan and urging Israel to withdraw it.

The European Union is also considering possible measures in response to the settlement expansion, including trade, academic and security-related steps, according to sources.

The preliminary proposals reportedly include labeling requirements for Israeli products entering the EU, reducing academic cooperation and suspending some security and diplomatic exchanges.

The United Nations has also voiced concern over rising violence in the West Bank linked to settlement expansion.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said on Friday that its partners had reported deadly settler attacks and the use of live ammunition by Israeli forces during law enforcement operations involving Palestinians.

Two Palestinians were killed on Friday in separate incidents involving Israeli forces, according to OCHA.

In one incident in the Hebron governorate, a Palestinian man was shot dead during an attack by Israeli settlers, another Palestinian was critically injured, and several homes were damaged, including one that was set on fire, the UN agency said.

OCHA said that since the beginning of the year and through Monday, at least 22 Palestinians had been killed in West Bank-related incidents - including 12 by settlers, seven by Israeli forces, and three in cases where responsibility remained unclear. The figures did not include Friday's deaths.

"Palestinians across the occupied Palestinian territory must be protected, as required by international law, and perpetrators of violations must be held accountable," OCHA said, adding that the use of lethal force in law enforcement operations should be a last resort.

Meanwhile, Türkiye's Justice Minister Akin Gurlek said on Friday that Ankara had requested the International Criminal Police Organization (Interpol) issue a Red Notice for Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu over allegations related to attacks on activists attempting to deliver humanitarian aid to Gaza.

Gurlek said Türkiye had previously issued arrest warrants for Netanyahu and other Israeli officials, accusing them of genocide. He said Türkiye's Justice Ministry had asked relevant authorities to submit an application to Interpol, with related documents also sent to the Foreign Ministry.

Copyright © 

RELATED STORIES