More than half million people affected in NE China's record-breaking rains
Heavy rains and floods have been plaguing Jilin City in Jilin Province, northeast China, since Wednesday. So far, more than half a million people have been affected, with more than 200,000 people forced to leave their homes. Economic losses to date total over 12 billion yuan (1.8 billion US dollars).
Yongji County in Jilin city is struggling with waterlogging and disruptions to the water and electricity supply system and traffic. County infrastructure has been severely damaged. In the suburbs, flooding has destroyed more than 5,000 hectares of farmland. More than 100,000 people in Yongji have been relocated.
Provincial authorities say the heavy rain is for the most part over, and the red storm alert has been lifted.
Local authorities are trying to repair the public facilities and clean up sludge. According to CGTN reporter Jinghao Yang, soldiers there say sludge is a breeding ground for bacteria during hot weather, placing urgency on a speedy cleanup.
The displacement of locals also is adding extra pressure to the job. “The villagers are now living in four middle schools, but they are very concerned with their own homes. They said they hope to return their homes as early as possible,” said Yang.