S. Korea to unveil decision over 'comfort women' deal with Japan
S. Korea said it will announce on Tuesday if it will respect an agreement between the country's previous government and Japan that was aimed at resolving a feud over "comfort women" forced to work in Japan's wartime brothels.
Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha will hold a news conference to say what measures the government intends to take as a follow up to a public-private panel that concluded last week that the accord had failed to meet the women's needs, a foreign ministry official told Reuters on Monday.
S. Korean President Moon Jae-in has said the deal, under which Japan apologized to victims and provided one billion yen (8.8 million US dollars) to a fund to help them, was seriously flawed. Japan said any attempt to revise it could damage relations.