China econ survey: Will China see more rate cuts in the future?
CGTN's Global Business

To get a better view of how China's economy is faring, Global Business surveyed economists across the greater China region.

Is there room for further rate cuts? /Source: CGTN Global Business economists' survey

Is there room for further rate cuts? /Source: CGTN Global Business economists' survey

In the monetary policy category, when asked "if there's room for additional rate cuts by the People's Bank of China (PBOC)," over 80 percent of surveyed economists said that they think there is room for more cuts by China's central bank in 2019. The remainder of less than 20 percent thought otherwise. 

Among the nearly four-fifths "yes" answers, a quarter of those said they expect PBOC will likely carry out interest rate cut once, while 40 percent of them thought there will be two times. Another quarter of the participants expected three cuts.

Is there room for further RRR cuts? /Source: CGTN Global Business economists' survey

Is there room for further RRR cuts? /Source: CGTN Global Business economists' survey

When asked if there is room for reserve requirement ratio cuts (RRR cuts), 87.5 percent of those surveyed think there is room for some cuts by the PBOC, while the remainder 12.5 percent said no. 

And 15 percent of the respondents said there will be one RRR cut that China would probably have in 2019. Forty percent expect two while 25 percent anticipate three. The remaining 20 percent expect four cuts.