China's door is still open for U.S. trade talks: ambassador
Chinese Ambassador to the United States Cui Tiankai said on Tuesday that Beijing was ready to resume trade talks with Washington, but blamed the U.S. side for frequently "changing its mind" on tentative deals to end U.S.-China trade disputes.
"China remains ready to continue our talks with our American colleagues to reach a conclusion. Our door is still open," Cui said in an interview on Fox News Channel.
No further trade talks between top Chinese and U.S. negotiators have been scheduled since the last round ended in a stalemate on May 10, the same day U.S. President Donald Trump sharply increased tariffs on 200 billion U.S. dollars' worth of Chinese goods and took steps to levy duties on all remaining Chinese imports.
Asked about this reversal, Cui said it was U.S. negotiators that had abruptly backed away from some previous deals that had been tentatively agreed over the past year.
"It's quite clear it is the U.S. side that more than once changed its mind overnight and broke the tentative deal already reached," Cui said. "So we are still committed to whatever we agree to do, but it is the U.S. side that changed its mind so often."
Cui told Fox News Channel that U.S. restrictions on Chinese telecom equipment company Huawei Technologies Co Ltd announced last week "are without any foundation and evidence" and could undermine the normal functioning of markets.
"Everybody knows Huawei is a privately owned company. It is just a normal Chinese private company," Cui said. "So all the actions taken against Huawei are politically motivated."