Houseplants: Deadly plants worth a second thought before asking them in
Updated 11:24, 06-Jan-2019
Overlooking the deadly features of some good looking houseplants may cause people some nasty troubles, sometimes even life-threatening. The plants below are all examples of houseplants you may want to think twice before inviting them into your home.
Lily of the Valley
It is said the lily of the valley represents a return of happiness, and that's probably the reasons they are often seen at wedding ceremonies. It's bell shaped flowers and fragrance are both a sweet treat for the eyes and nose. However, something behind its good looks and scent may need our extra attention.
Lily of the valley. /VCG Photo

Lily of the valley. /VCG Photo

About 40 different cardiac glycosides can be found in its stems, leaves, flowers and the berries, many of which are extremely poisonous. Like different animals have different ways to defend against enemies, the flower uses poison as a weapon to protect their seeds from animals.
Putting them in your house, especially with children or pets definitely increases the chances of them being accidentally eaten and can cause serious symptoms like vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, etc. It is even possible for a person to die after they have consumed them if they do not receive immediate treatment.
This plant is actually a common houseplant, but that doesn't mean it isn't poisonous. As its common name "dumb cane" suggests, the poison may cause temporary inability to speak if ingested accidentally.
Dieffenbachia. /VCG Photo

Dieffenbachia. /VCG Photo

The poison is mild and its effect is not life-threatening. But one should have second thoughts before letting them in the house given it may still give some more severe problems for children and pets. The chances are also high that it will cause burning or itching when brushed against.
Philodendron. /VCG Photo

Philodendron. /VCG Photo

If you have curious kids or pets who like to put every thing into their mouths, philodendron should be avoided in your house. The calcium oxalate crystals it contains are harmful to humans and pets, especially to cats with reports of it causing spasms, seizures, pain, and swelling. Severe reactions rarely happen, but it would still not be a bad idea to keep it out of the reach of kids and pets.