Libyan UN-backed gov't condemns silence on opposition army's attacks on 'civilian installations'
Libya's UN-backed government on Friday condemned the international silence regarding the eastern-based army's attacks on "civilian installations" in the capital Tripoli.
"We condemn the international community's silence regarding the aggressor's clear and direct targeting of the capital and civilian installations," a government statement said.
According to the statement, the Libyan army recently attacked two field hospitals in Asswani and Ain Zara areas in southern Tripoli, injuring doctors and paramedics of the hospitals.
The statement also accused the army of attacking Tripoli's Metiga international airport twice within 24 hours, while the army said its target was Turkish-made drones used by the government forces against the army.
The army, led by Khalifa Haftar, has been leading a military campaign since early April to take over Tripoli from the government.
According to the World Health Organization, the fighting has so far killed more than 600 people and injured over 3,000 others.
The army is allied with the eastern-based government, as Libya is politically divided between eastern and western governments.
(Cover: A fighter loyal to the Libyan UN-recognized Government of National Accord (GNA) loads a heavy machine gun during clashes against forces loyal to strongman Khalifa Haftar, on May 25, 2019, in the Airport Road Area, south of the Libyan capital Tripoli. /VCG Photo)