FA Cup roundup: Man City hit seven as Newport County shock Leicester City
Updated 13:19, 10-Jan-2019
Fourth-tier Newport County beat Premier League high-flyers Leicester City 2-1 to record a memorable upset win in the third round of the English FA Cup on Sunday, with Oldham defeating top-flight strugglers Fulham by the same scoreline.
Premier League champions Manchester City thrashed Rotherham 7-0, with Watford beating non-league Woking 2-0.
But Barnet ensured there would be a non-league presence in the fourth round with a 1-0 win away to second-tier Championship club Sheffield United.
It had seemed visitors Leicester, seventh in the Premier League and top-flight champions in 2016, would leave Rodney Parade with a draw when Rachid Ghezzal's shot eight minutes from time canceled out Jamille Matt's 10th-minute header.
But, with five minutes left, Newport were awarded a penalty after Leicester's Marc Albrighton inexplicably raised his arm to block a cross into the box and Padraig Amond made no mistake from the spot to spark delirious scenes among the Welsh club's supporters.
"It's the first time I've beaten a Premier League club as a manager so it's one I'll never forget," Newport boss Michael Flynn told the BBC.
"It's unbelievable," he added after Newport's first FA Cup win against a top-tier club since they beat Sheffield Wednesday in the third round back in the 1963/64 season.
Leicester manager Claude Puel praised Newport by saying: "They believed in themselves and created the upset."
The Frenchman added: "I think we had an experienced team to manage this game. We had eight players who won the title."
Jordan Lyden of Oldham Athletic (R) argues with Neeskens Kebano of Fulham during their FA Cup third round match at Craven Cottage on January 6

Jordan Lyden of Oldham Athletic (R) argues with Neeskens Kebano of Fulham during their FA Cup third round match at Craven Cottage on January 6

Denis Odoi put Fulham ahead in the 52nd minute at Craven Cottage but Sam Sturridge drew Oldham level with a penalty before Callum Lang's header two minutes from time sealed a comeback win.
Daniel Iversen compounded Fulham's misery by saving an Aleksandar Mitrovic penalty -- his first touch after coming off the bench -- just moments earlier.
"It is Roy of the Rovers stuff," said Oldham caretaker boss Pete Wild.
"The character in the dressing room is phenomenal."
Fulham manager Claudio Ranieri, explained his decision to have Mitrovic take the spot-kick by saying: "I said to him to shoot the penalty because he's our man to shoot the penalty."
Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola made eight changes from the team that beat Premier League leaders Liverpool on Thursday but still fielded a strong side for the visit of Championship club Rotherham.
Raheem Sterling out City ahead in the 12th minute and they scored two more goals late in the first half through Phil Foden and a Semi Ajayi own-goal.
Gabriel Jesus made it 4-0 early in the second period before Riyad Mahrez, Nicolas Otamendi and Leroy Sane added further goals.
Foden's goal was the England Under-21 international's first in senior football at the Etihad.
Elsewhere, Barnet beat Championship high-flyers Sheffield United thanks to Shaquile Coulthirst's 21st-minute penalty.
"It's unbelievable," said Barnet captain Callum Reynolds after the north London club's triumph.
Source(s): AFP