China says trade meeting with U.S. is still on
Updated 22:49, 24-Jan-2019
CGTN
02:51

China's Ministry of Commerce (MOFCOM) has denied reports that a preparatory trade meeting with the United States scheduled for next week had been canceled by the Americans.

“The reports which said the U.S. canceled a trade planning meeting with China is not true," MOFCOM spokesperson Gao Feng told a regular press briefing. "Chinese Vice Premier Liu He will pay a visit to the U.S. on January 30 to 31 for a new round of trade negotiations."  

Gao made the remarks after the reports were published by international media outlets.

"China and the U.S. have maintained close contact on the upcoming trade talks, during which the two sides will make in-depth negotiations on issues of common concern," he said.

Gao also said in the briefing that the trade volume of China with countries along the Belt and Road Initiative has reached 3 trillion U.S. dollars in 2018, an increase of 16.3 percent from last year. Chinese companies' non-financial direct investment to the countries along the route reached 15.64 billion U.S. dollars, accounting for 13 percent of the total amount over the same period.