CULTURE

The week in sports - from Russia's doping conspiracy to Chinese marathons

2016-12-12 23:11 GMT+8
Editor Sim Sim Wissgott
Doping: Report finds Russian 'institutionalized conspiracy'
This file photo taken on August 21, 2016 shows silver medalist Russia's Misha Aloian reacting during the medal presentation ceremony following the Men's Fly (52kg) Final Bout at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games. Aloian and Romanian weightlifter Gabriel Sincraian were stripped of their Rio Olympic medals on December 8, 2016 after being found guilty of doping. /CFP Photo
An eagerly awaited report on Russian doping allegations found a “systematic and centralized cover up and manipulation of the doping control process” at the 2012 London Olympics and 2014 Sochi Winter Games. Over 1,000 top Russian athletes in winter, summer and Paralympic sports took part in or benefited from an “institutionalized doping conspiracy” involving Russian ministry officials and the security service FSB, a report, carried out by Canadian law professor Richard McLaren, revealed on Friday. This included the swapping of urine samples and tampering with containers. The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has announced it will now re-test all urine samples taken from Russian athletes in 2014 Sochi. Doping allegations already led to the Russian athletics team being banned from the Rio Olympics this summer. However, Moscow has repeatedly denied the accusations.
F1: Mercedes driver wanted
Mercedes' Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain drives during the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix on November 27, 2016. /CFP Photo 
Aspiring F1 drivers take note: Mercedes is recruiting! The German team put out a tongue-in-cheek job ad in motoring magazine Autosport on Wednesday for a new driver, after champion Nico Rosberg announced he was retiring from the sport. The ideal candidate will have “a proven track record in… steering, braking and in particular, accelerating” and must be able to “show extreme patience in the face of media attention.” Perks, meanwhile, include life insurance, medical coverage and participation in the “Mercedes company car lease scheme.” No announcement has yet been made about who will partner Lewis Hamilton next season, but Mercedes is said to be chasing after Williams’ Valtteri Bottas. Another possibility would be Mercedes reserve driver Pascal Wehrlein.
Tennis: Djokovic drops coach Becker
Serbia's Novak Djokovic listens to his coach Boris Becker during a practice session at Melbourne Park, Australia, January 16, 2016. /CFP Photo 
Tennis ace Novak Djokovic has split from his coach of three years, ex-German champion Boris Becker. The former tennis number one suffered a drop in form this year, failing to defend his Wimbledon and US Open titles and then falling to second place in the ATP ranking for the first time since July 2014, behind Briton Andy Murray, who also lifted the World Tour Finals trophy last month. Becker later said Djokovic had not spent enough time on the practice court in recent months, but could return to the top if he did. The decision to part ways was “consensual,” he said. 
Table Tennis: Ma Long defends World Tour title in Doha
Ma Long of China in action on his way to win the Men's Singles Final match against Fan Zhendong of China during the Seamaster Qatar 2016 ITTF World Tour Grand Finals on December 11, 2016 in Doha, Qatar. /CFP Photo 
Reigning Olympic and world champion Ma Long defended his World Tour Grand Finals singles title in Doha on Sunday, beating his Chinese compatriot Fan Zhendong in a six-game thriller: 11-5, 11-4, 11-9, 7-11, 12-14, 11-9. The face-off between the world number one and two was a repeat of last year’s season-ending final in Lisbon. Once again, 28-year-old Ma emerged victorious over 19-year-old Fan, despite a late attempt at a comeback. The win makes it a record five World Tour Grand Finals titles for insatiable trophy-collector Ma, who won singles and team gold in Rio this summer. China was also successful on the women’s side with world number-four Zhu Yuling beating Germany’s Han Ying in four straight sets. 
Figure Skating: Hanyu, Medvedeva skate to Grand Prix gold
Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir of Canada compete at the ISU Senior Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final at Palais Omnisports on December 9, 2016 in Marseille, France. /CFP Photo
Japan’s Olympic champion Yuzuru Hanyu made figure skating history by securing his fourth straight ISU Grand Prix Final title in Marseille, France over the weekend, as Russia’s world champion Evgenia Medvedea also defended her crown. Canada’s 2010 Olympic gold medalists Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir came back strong after two seasons off to win the ice dance title, while in the pairs, Russians Evgenia Tarasova and Vladimir Morozov took their first major trophy. They edged out China’s Yu Xiaoyu Yu and Zhang Hao who finished second, ahead of compatriots Peng Cheng and Jin Yang in sixth place. 
Speed Skating: Gold for China’s Wu, UK’s Christie in 500m
China's Wu Dajing skates in the World Cup men's 500 meters short-track race in Shanghai, on December 11, 2016. /CFP Photo
Two-time world champion Wu Dajing won both 500m short-track races in Shanghai this weekend, ensuring he remained top of the World Cup ranking in the discipline, while the UK’s Elise Christie did the same in the women’s races. Christie now has a 9,648-point lead on second-ranked Fan Kexin of China, with three races to go this season. China’s men also topped the podium in the 5000m relay, but elsewhere it was Korea’s athletes who dominated, winning the women’s 3000m relay, the women’s 1000m and 1500m, and the men’s 1500m. 
Football: 98 clubs tied to FA sex abuse scandal
The breadth of the English Football Association’s sex abuse scandal continues to grow. The UK’s National Police Chiefs’ Council announced on Friday that 83 potential suspects had been identified in connection with the abuse allegations, while 98 clubs were “impacted” by the probe into the scandal, from the Premier League to amateur levels, although this did not mean they were all under investigation. Police said they had received a total of 639 referrals in relation to abuse claims. The scandal broke out last month after a former football player revealed he had been abused as a youth player.
Running: two die in Chinese half-marathon
Some 30,000 athletes participated in the Guangzhou marathon on December 11, 2016. /CFP Photo
Two runners collapsed and died during a half-marathon in Xiamen, south China's Fujian Province on Saturday, according to organizers, prompting concerns over the meteoric rise in marathons around the country and calls for more rigorous testing of participants. Marathon running has swept over the country lately, but there are rising concerns that people may not be as well prepared as they think, with huge percentages of runners needing medical assistance after Chinese events this year. An estimated 10 people have also reportedly died in marathons around China over the past three years. In 2013, the country hosted just 39 marathons. This year the number has surpassed 300.
+1
Copyright © 2017 
OUR APPS