Beijing defends barring Human Rights Watch chief from entering Hong Kong
Beijing on Monday defended barring the head of Human Rights Watch from entering Hong Kong, saying non-governmental organizations were to blame for political unrest in China's Special Administrative Region and should "pay the proper price".
"Allowing or not allowing someone's entry is China's sovereign right," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang said at a regular press briefing, a day after Human Rights Watch Chief Kenneth Roth said he was denied entry into Hong Kong.
Beijing last month announced sanctions on American NGOs, including Human Rights Watch, as countermeasures for the passage of a U.S. bill backing Hong Kong's violent anti-government movement.
"Plenty of facts and evidence show that the relevant NGO has through various means supported anti-China radicals, encouraged them to engage in extremist, violent and criminal activity, and incited Hong Kong independence separatist activities," Geng said.
"They bear major responsibility for the current chaos in Hong Kong. These organizations should be punished, and should pay the proper price."