Police officers stand guard outside of the Omani ambassador's residence, where the indirect nuclear talks between the United States and Iran are taking place in Geneva, Switzerland, February 17, 2026. /VCG
The second round of indirect nuclear talks between the U.S. and Iran has ended in Geneva, Switzerland, according to Iranian state media.
The latest negotiations were held at Oman's embassy in the Swiss city and mediated by Omani Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad bin Hamood Albusaidi.
There is no indication at this stage whether any progress was made or how the sides feel about the atmosphere in the room.
Speaking to Iranian state media on the sidelines of the talks earlier on Tuesday, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei said lifting sanctions is an integral part of any agreement on the nuclear issue.
Baghaei said the Iranian delegation had come to Geneva "with good faith" and was "completely serious and result-oriented."
"We have come here with an open mind and open eyes," he said, adding that time is "very important and vital" for Iran.
He also said the Iranian team is ready to stay in Geneva for a longer period to finalize an agreement, "a few days or even a few weeks." Iran has approached the talks with an open attitude and hopes the U.S. delegation will demonstrate a similar level of seriousness and sincerity, he added.
U.S. President Donald Trump said on Monday that he would be "indirectly" involved in the negotiations from Washington. He again warned that Iran would face "consequences" if a deal is not reached.
The United States increased its military presence across the Middle East ahead of the talks. It was reported that the U.S. had sent the USS Gerald R. Ford, the world's largest warship, to the region, which could arrive in the region within the next three weeks.
Also on Monday, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi wrote on social media that he was in Geneva with "real ideas to achieve a fair and equitable deal."
"What is not on the table: submission before threats," Araghchi noted.
Meanwhile, Iran is holding military drills in the Strait of Hormuz. Parts of the strategic waterway will be temporarily closed for several hours as part of what Iranian media described as a "Smart Control of the Strait of Hormuz" exercise.
The semi-official Fars news agency said the move is aimed at ensuring safety and navigation during the drill, while the Tasnim news agency reported that various defensive and offensive weapons were used to destroy designated targets with precision.
The latest round of negotiations follows an initial round of indirect talks held on February 6 in the Omani capital of Muscat, which both sides described as a "good start" but produced no visible breakthrough, with significant differences remaining on key issues.
CHOOSE YOUR LANGUAGE
互联网新闻信息许可证10120180008
Disinformation report hotline: 010-85061466